Cantaloupe Jam with Vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups chopped peeled cantaloupe (from about 2 pounds/910 g cantaloupe)
- 1 1/2 cups/300 g granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 (3-ounce/85 ml) packet liquid pectin
1. Prepare a boiling water bath and 3 half-pint/250 ml jars (see process below). Place the lids in a small saucepan, cover them with water, and simmer over very low heat.
2. Combine the cantaloupe pulp, sugar, and vanilla bean seeds in a nonreactive pot. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and the packet of liquid pectin. Return to a vigorous boil. Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, until the bubbles look thick.
4. Remove the pot from the heat and ladle the jam into the prepared jars. Wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.